Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Yes, I know I am not posting much.   I have to admit the "thrill" of blogging has worn off.  I am feeling less inclined to attempt to put my day, thoughts and emotions in a couple of paragraphs.   I feel like I can't really do it well unless I try to impart part of how it effects me and I also know that many really don't want that.  I have no problem with others feeling like their day is busy enough to only want the highlights, I remember life there believe it or not!      I know I often only wanted the bottom line, and now from the other side, the bottom line seems so inadequate.  

ANYWAY, as principal of the school now (I think I mentioned that, right?)  the kids and staff kind of look at me a little differently now, and that is ok.   I think the initial year of dealing with your own stuff while here is winding down some, and I don't feel the need to try and solve all the problems of everyone here now because.....drum roll, please.....I can't.      We are instituting some new procedures for dealin with rampant cheating in the school and with the obvious lack of basic math skills.   We will have, every morning (as soon as we have enough flash cards to do it with)  about a 20 minute drill in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division right after the opening and prayer.   The kids have some serious deficincies in these skills and it shows in their work, so I expect after a few months of this, that won't be an issue anymore.  Those that can test out of the skill will move on the next one, decreasing class size so those struggling will get more help until everyone can do them all.   Nancy Hibbard, our new office administrator,  is doing a very good job of organizing the office and getting information to where it needs to go.  With the change of procedures in the taking of tests, teachers won't have to grade the tests anymore, leaving more time for hands on teaching.  We all hope this is going to improve the kiids skills and abilities and give them more time for study. 

Personally, I am struggling some with health stuff.   I seem to be getting sick on about a 3 day cycle.  Not bad but just enough to make life slightly less enjoyable!   Today is a good day...so far.   I had similar problems last year, so I guess this is just life in Haiti for me.  Eventually it seemed to ease off and the last part of the year was better, so I will hope for the same now.   I have finally gotten all my audiology equipment here, though I have no idea when or where this may be used yet.   I am just praying for doors to open if this is in my future here, and if not, I am fine with it also.   I have a fellow missionary who has a friend coming to visit who needs a hearing test, so I hope to get back into it a little when he arrives in a few weeks.  We'll see where it goes from there. 

We have some new students in the older classes.   Jephtae returned to school and is showing a better attitude and willingness to work and seek help.   Another new student is Termitus, and he is showing what may be to this untrained eye some learning disabilities.     He tries hard though and is bright, so we will do our best to help him thru it.   Christella is from the states, she is 15 and has a bit of the American attitude, though she is a very nice girl and, with recent "encouragement" seems to be trying more and is finishing more tests.   Tanya (her real name is about 285 letters long so I call her Tanya)  is about 12-13, talks quietly but definitely talks, enjoys her day at school, has been to the states and really doesn't want to return.  She has a small cousin in our preschool class (don't know the name) and Tanya wants to get her to the states when she is older, but she tells me she likes Haiti and doesn't like the culture or lifestyle in the States.    I guess to many that is surprising, but having been here some, it really doesn't surprise me much anymore.  It is a difference in cultures and values, and what Americans want, many Haitians don't want.  I am glad she is able to make that judgement.   Yes, I will try to remember to get pictures to send, I know I suck at remembering that. 

Almost forgot, found out last night.   Remember Kesmy?     Kesmy has a sponsor to send him to Moody
Bible college for next year, full room and board, tuition is free for him!!!!!       His dream was to go to Moody and he has his start.    We are all so thrilled for him, I know those who know him will be also.   Had to edit the post, I had to add this.   Very good news.

things are going actually pretty well overall, I pray everyone back in the states is well. 

Bondye benis ou

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment