Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve, 2009

Well, we've done it again.  We have, entirely on our own accord, circled the sun again and arrived at the same place we started.   (I apologize in advance, I have given up the pretense of being able to chat and just talk about the stuff here w/o analyzing it into pieces.  it is not in my nature....I need help, but until it arrives, it is what it is).   The two sojourners from Iowa have returned, Gary and Caroline have gone home for Christmas, and Nancy and I are holding down the fort, reading about the snow covered US, with cancelled flights, homes w/o power in the cold, and wondering exactly why anyone ever wanted to go home in the first place.  OH, that's right, family and such.   Yes, I do miss my son's every day.  I have taken to calling them semi regularly to keep in touch, it is so much better than just e mailing.  Yesterday and last night were cloudy, rainy and cold (by Haitian standards).   It likely got in to the upper 60's last night, and I am sure the Haitians, especially those up in the hills, wore every stitch of clothes they had to sleep in last night.   the sun is up today, clouds have cleared, and it is expected to be upper 90's tomorrow.   helps for the shower, once you have adjusted to the weather taking a really cold shower is no fun.  Nancy is making a cake to take down to the orphanage as a surprise for the kids there.  We will hit the store later today to get whatever for the next day, as stores do close for Christmas here. 

Back to the endless loop we are in; it seems again that I arrive at the same point with maybe not the same, but similar questions.  I fixed this, but where did that come from?  It amazes me that there seems to be no end to the living of life.   Knit one, curl two, or whatever that thing is.   Like one step forward, two backwards, 4 forwards, 3 backwards and you are right where you started.   I think I am begininng to understand Paul when he said he had learned to be fine with lot's or not much.  The days pass anyway so why worry?   God put's who He will in our path's and I try to deal with that as best I can.  The rest isn't really that important if you really think about it.  Or at least IMHO.   So some kids from school have moved on the the states this year, one has been kicked out due to persistent misconduct, another has had to leave for safety reasons.   The circumstances of life just aren't really in our control, and it begins to become background noise to me.   Maybe that is just me being cynical, if so, please don't inform me of this, as I am perfectly happy to go along with my suppositions just the way they are.  I do what I can with what God gives me, affect people the best I can, and try to leave the rest alone.   I have glimpsed a part of what people can do (and I confess I am a people, too) when they get to far along in truly believing they know much about anything.   But I guess being aware of it helps me understand the truth of really not knowing much of anything, so again I find myself happy either way the wind blows. 

I hope this trip around the solar system has been better for everyone, though I know it hasn't for many, for far too many.  Nancy and I watched a YouTube video last night of John Lennon's song "The war is over" showing what is the truth for far too many people in the world.  That this Christmas is not a time of peace and love, but of desperation and lack.  I know I have so much to be truly, truly grateful for.  I hope I have a chance to share a little more, and in some small way, make some difference in someone's life this year.  Maybe this is one of real gifts of Christmas...knowing what our blessings are, and having the chance to share what we have somehow.   Right after understanding my sin, and my need for Jesus' redemption of my life, and then meeting those neighbors in my life that I can help, and be helped by.  Not that hard, really.   Hopefully.  

A Merry Christmas to all, those who have and have not, as much as is possible. 

Dieu benis ou, tout tan.

Dan Joshu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment