Wednesday, February 18, 2009

February 19, 2009

the days here are actually pretty cool right now. the locals still c/o it being so cool at night and so cold in the morning. Tyreo, one of the teen age boys in school, wore a hooded sweatshirt all day long today! It was 72 for the low this morning, very cool for this area, but we lived thru it. :)

I have been listening to a very interesting series of sermons by David Johnson from Church of the Open Door, in a little Minnesota town I can't remember now. found this from the Livesay's on their site about a year ago. wonderful speaker and teacher who went thru a series called "the way of the Rabbi" which lasted for 18 months. I have the cd's loaded on my computer and I listen to them regularly now. their web site is thedoor.org and I would recommend it to anyone seeking a different perspective.

the student that was released from school a few weeks ago has returned, in a way. He came several times literally begging to be re admitted and Gary finally told him he could return for one on one sessions with him for a short time to see if he would start working. He did not show up for a week afterwards but now has been back 3 or 4 times since. He took a math test today and failed I am told. And he failed miserably. this is the 3rd time thru the book and he literally refuses to do the work, while begging to get back in. He has done similar work in previous books but everytime you show him again how to do it, he misses something, or didn't read the instructions, or misunderstood what was asked or......... it is sad to see him desperately try to fail. Gary is giving him the same book again and our goal is to wait him out. We had a talk about this young man and neither of us want to wash our hands of him, this may be his only chance to change his life. he already has 2 cousins in prison in the states. We pray for him to just let go of whatever it is in him that controls him in such a way, and we hope for the best in his life.

can't wait to get taxes done ( not a hint Pat, just eager to get the return as you are!) I hope to get a decent return and spend it on frivilous things like....airfare, food, stuff like that! I have been in contact wtih the VA in St. Louis recently and all is proceeding for my return this summer to a good paying summer job. Thanks Julie, I owe you lunch this summer!

My son Luke let me know that there was a murder 2 houses away from my house in Madison. An older man was killed apparently after a bout of drinking with friends. I guess people are the same everywhere, and it is sad that so many end this way. Here you see often older people walking down the street, totally out of it. I am sure that they would be in care facilities in the states, but there are none here. They have no one to take care of them, dementia sets in or other mental/physical illnesses and they become outcasts. I know of a young lady in Port, Paige Livesay, who wants to come back to Haiti later in life after college and start a support system for people with physical and mental problems. what a vision for life, to spend your time helping those who truly can't help themselves. you can find out more about Paige and her "clan" at the livesay blogspot at livesayhaiti.blogspot.com.

tomorrow we go to the orphanage, I will get pictures of the kids. Bev wants us to have a group prayer meeting for the kids and the success of the orphanage, and we all think it is a great idea, so off we will go.

Lavalas, the political party of Aristide, has been rejected from participating in the upcoming election. We are hoping it doesn't result in a lot of violence. Caroline had a good point in that the UN is now in the country and she doubts they would try anything, since they now the the right to shoot back if anyone goes after them. Let's hope that is the case, though I fully expect demonstrations to occur.

I can't believe Feb is almost over. it seems like time here just vanishes into thin air.....maybe that is how time works nearer the equator. Hmm.. maybe I won't give up my day job to enter theoretical physics either. we will be planning our flight out this weekend likely, as at the end of Feb, there are only 3 months of school left. I guess I will survive! And a bit of bragging here. My son Aaron made the honor roll at SWIC. I am a very proud dad. You ROCK Aaron!! keep up the good work. we have company so I have to be social for awhile. will talk again soon.

Djebenis tout moun

No comments:

Post a Comment