Thursday, February 12, 2009


yes, I know I don't post enough, and I know when I do it's thinking deep stuff that no one wants to read. well, this is just where I have been for some time, so that's the way it is. Today we will talk about Joel.

Joel is the son of Joe, one of the workers at school. Joe is a great guy, very honest and a hard worker even if there isn't really much for him to do. He is kind of a gate guard when Marco can't be there, he makes copies in the office for Yvesner when he is busy, and run's errands into town for Gary for all sorts of things. Hmm, sounds like he is busier than I thought! anyway, Joe lives in Mac Donal, a little "suburb" if you will, of St. Marc. This is where the orphanage is with Bev and Al. Joe lives not a stones throw away from their house. don't have any pictures of it, but suffice to say, it isn't much of a house. Mac Donal is one of the poorer places to live, though they almost ALWAYS have electricity, can't figure that one out, but it is good for the folks there who don't have much else. It is very near the ocean; in fact the orphanage house is probably less than 30 yards from the water, so they get ocean breezes. Joe is learning English from being in school but has little education if any on his own. He grew up in a voodoo household and his family had many problems because of it. It is hard to share the reality of voodoo worship with others. I had to come here to see for myself and it is very hard to describe still for me. Anyway Joe talks of his son Joel a lot (when I can understand him; he lacks some teeth which makes it harder). Joel has had MANY problems at home and in school with behavour and just figuring out things. Jessica can relate, right Jess? Tantrums and uncontrolled fits for reasons that no one could really understand were pretty regular. Well, Joel has begun to "get it". He smiles now very often, laughs, plays with other kids w/o having to have HIS WAY all the time. Despite his problems, which have included seizures, Joel is lucky accordingto his father Joe. Joe said that Joel doesn't have to grow up in a voodoo household, he knows about God and he is very luck to know this. Joe doesn't talk much about his house and the voodoo, but just from what I have seen here (little compared to most others) it is a very NOT GOOD thing. Joe is very grateful for Joel and his ability to be free from that, and now that Joel is beginning to overcome some initial problems in life, he is a much happier little guy, making progress and even learning some things. So today's hero is Joel. I'll tell him in 10 years or so he was today's hero; I'm sure he will be impressed!
Maybe this will work for awhile for posting. I will find out what I can about the family life of the kids and share it best as I can. sounds like a plan to me. And to think it only took me most of the year to come up with that!! So educated...yet so far to go. :)
Djebenis tout moun

No comments:

Post a Comment