Saturday, November 8, 2008

Rony

I am looking now for a picture of this little girl from school. Caroline says she has one but can't find it now. I will get one next week if need be to post here. Rony is her name. She is about 10, maybe 12. There is no birth certificate. She is a very sweet girl, smart...and in need of a home. I hesitate to put this out but it has been on my heart all week, I feel like I must. Rony lives with an alcoholic father in law, who actually works at the school. He is a fairly decent worker, though there are issues, but is an angry man. That is common here, anger is a huge problem. The life people live leads to frustration and despair and it comes out in feelings of helplessness and lack of control over ones life. I see it and I have been here so few months now. He is...a bad father to Rony. He is physically abusive to her, let's leave it at that. Her mother has other children living in different places in the country, and that is also very common here. She has children by several men, and now has two small boys who live with them. Rony's father in law is their father. The mother is not supportive of Rony in almost any way. some of you may be familiar with the term "restavek". These are children who are basically slaves in their own house. Most are given up by the families they live with to work for relatives or other families who can provide at least food for them. Unfortunately it becomes a very abusive relationship usually, the children are slave labor and are treated very badly. Rony is practically a restavek in he own home. She has to do significant work, does not have adequate shoes (which will be alleviated this week) and her clothes come from the mission here. She receives little more than the 4 day a week lunch at school to eat and it shows. (Fridays is a half day, there is no lunch). I don't know really how to say this, but I fear that if Rony is not adopted by someone her life will take a very sad, tragic turn at some point. She has a wonderful heart, is very sweet and desperately wants someone to love her. it is so obvious in her eyes and her manners.

some of you may be asking "why don't you do something there, make it stop!" and I wish I could. Treatment of children this way is not illegal here and even it it was there is little if any law enforcement for those who can't defend themselves. As we read daily in the Bible (one year reading program) it talks of how innocents were treated in the Old Testament...and the New Testament. these things don't change, people are still people and abuse continues. Haiti reminds me of an Old Testament country. Sadly so. I am asking for prayer for Rony. I am asking for support for her. The mission pays for her clothes and food, for the most part. donations could be made to Touch Ministries, 417 Rebecca St., New Martinsville, WV 26155. If anyone feels led to sponsor her please contact me thru the blog first or at my e mail at dr333joshu@hotmail.com. And I am asking that if anyone feels the want in their own life to adopt a young 3rd world girl to love and care for, I know how to help you. :) Believe it or not, even abusive parents are almost always willing to give up kids for adoption here, as I am told. Adoption is not easy from Haiti, especially when parents are really alive. But it can be done, and is regularly. If you know of anyone who is thinking of adoption, please pray and see if this is something you could present to them as an option. This is a story that is far too common here. Rony is not the only one in need. But she is the one I know of that maybe I can help do something for. thanks for reading. I will post a picture of Rony as soon as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan!
    Let us know when you're in town - if we are available we would love to meet you for lunch and catch up!

    ReplyDelete