Sunday, November 30, 2008

November 30, 2008

attempting to learn a little more about my computer here, so I am typing this post on the Notepad feature in Windows tosee if I can do it and then transfer to my blog. yesterday was a microcosm of things here. spent a day at Xaragua, aresort type place while waiting for Gary to pick up the 13 member team from Port and bring them in. they are staying there for their visit. The team will be doing an eye clinic both here in St. Marc and in Mountrois. Dr. Mike Phillipsis a doctor, and opthamologist and apparently about 4 or 5 other things as well and will be running the clinic. His wife Cleo is from the Phillipines and is a nurse who assists in the clinics. other members from Family Harvest Churchin Chicago will be helping in the clinic. Pastor Steve will be preaching this morning at a local church and assisting where possible. Xaragua is beautiful with a wonderful view of the canal between Haiti and the island of La Gonave. I swam in the ocean, we had a wonderful lunch, lounged and waited for Gary to get back. When the team was in we helped them unload and then just chatted to get to know each other.

that was about when the flip side of Haiti struck. I had started feeling a little nauseaous and skipped the dinner we had set up there. Thankfully it didn't hit anyone else, but whatever it was it got it's money's worth out of me. As we started to go, well, I threw up. Then again on the road back to Mac Donal where Bev and Al live. Those of you who have been here understand about the roads. Then again it hit me in downtown St. Marc. Then again about 11:00 after we got home, and again a couple of hours later. I have never been so sick in my life...except when I was young and abused myself with cheap wine while in college. This morning I am feeling significantly better, but I feel like I did about a thousand stomach crunches last night.

school will be out this week while we run the clinic, Monday/Tuesday in St. Marc, Wednesday/Thursday in Mountrois, and Friday is a travel day to get the team back. problems have already come up, as the eyeglasses they brought in to give to the people were held up in customs and Gary has to go back on Monday to get them..in Port. Then he has to go back on Tuesday to get the church video guy who is filming stuff. Then on Friday to return the team to Port for the flight home. And somewhere in there, sooner rather than later I pray, I will stop throwing up. sounds like a plan for the week! will update with pic's of the clinic hopefully if my stomach allows. bye for now. (it worked, pasted and it was good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment