Friday, December 5, 2008

December 5, 2008

A very busy 4 days have gone by, and NO I don't have pic's to share of the clinic. I don't think of getting pic's until I sit down to blog, then I say to myself, "self, you're a dork". I just don't have that priority of getting these pics to share in my head yet. I do have a few of some cute kids though.


Eye clinic started Monday and it was...unorganized and kind of a mess to start with, but we got it figured out as we went and it went fairly smoothly. Saw about 130-140 on Monday, that is my guess. Tuesday we had the glasses that had been help up in customs so we had better glasses to give out. The computer inventory system they had had some bugs apparently in it and it took almost 2 hours to get it working and that slowed everything down. Since it was the last day in St. Marc, we had to see everyone, including those from Monday who came back to get the glasses we couldn't give them on Monday. Opinions differ but it was at least 225 people and it got kind of stressful for some of the team doing that level of work. Wednesday and Thursday at Mountrois were much better and things went off with only self inflicted wounds, and minor scratches at that. Overall I would say that we saw between 650-700 people in the 4 days and most got prescription or reading glasses. Many complaints of itchy eyes. The dusty season is just beginning to start and it really does cause people problems.


After the clinic Thursday we returned to where the team was staying, the Xaragua hotel where a Bible conference was being held on Thursday. People from the team spoke and apparently it went really well. Took pic's after that of local area's for the team to take back. They have a very cool guy, Roy, who is the church videographer for them. He brought a tv cam with others, and shot video late Wednesday and all day Thursday. The church raises funds for missions just like Gary and Carolines. He took pic's along the roadway (not appreciated by the other traffic, by the way, or the local farmer who wondered if we were going to damage his banana's or tomatoes. He was assured we would not hurt anything and was fine after that). Also at the orphanage and at the home of one of the workers here Francois Petite Homme, last name is pronounced
petty-tom, as in tom petty....and the heartbreakers....for those more than 40 it may mean something. Took video of his house and family, all 8 kids. The orphanage shots were good and I got some pic's of some local kids there, so HERE ARE THE PICTURES....




well actually I have to find the camera now......this is how I write stuff. right up to where I need something, THEN I go get it. (pause for effect here)


the first one is of Pastor Mark of the team doing a video shot with a local child inside the orphanage gate. this is the community of Mac Donal. and no, you can't get fries with it. :) the next pic is of some local boys who always gather and watch whenever something like this goes on. a large group of missionaries, especially with high tech camera's will bring every local kid that has nothing better to do. the last one is of a little girl who also came around, very cute kid who just wanted in on what was happening so I took her picture and showed it to her, which caused a big smile.

I think the team got a view of Haiti they had not had. a few had been in Haiti before on this type of clinic, and I think most had some mission experience. listening to them I gathered it was a different type of experience for them this time. I don't think they had actually been out in the "field" you might say, previously as much as this. it is always eye opening to live it. the church we had clinic in Mountrois had no roof over half of the building. the group had previously travelled in closed buses on paved roads. that is not Haiti, and probably won't be for some time, though progress is being made. at least some is. it's been a tiring week, but I know many people received glasses who had not been able to see their whole lives, and many did who would not have any other way during their lives.
I know many church folk's go into fits when you quote James 2:15. "suppose you see a brother or sister who needs food or clothing and you say, "well, good bye and God bless you; stay warm and eat well"-but then you don't give that person any food or clothing. what good does that do?"
God says to have faith in Him IS to believe in Him enough that YOU go out of your way to give to those who have need. Believe me, it is worth it and I am happy to have a small part in it. It is about letting yourself be changed instead of needing to be in control. Once you go, you get stretched outside your comfort zone and realize you'll live. And you get to be part of stuff like this. Very cool.......or sweet, or whatever word your particular generation uses. thanks for listening, bye for now. WAIT........I forgot to announce that I officially am being followed on another blog!!!!!! Thanks Kristin, now I'll stalk you too!! it's all good...someday I might get out of the basement here. :)

1 comment:

  1. People do not realize that there is always two sides to every country. Some see the commercial side and then what I call the reality side. This is where the larger population lives which is more the true colors of what needs to be done to help them. Christ through us what they need to see.

    ReplyDelete