Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saturday, May 30, 2009

so Gary and Caroline took the visitors from the IAM program to the Bible class graduation today. around 12 or so, I went upstairs and saw the temp as 89 inside the office area they have upstairs. Knowing this to be a completely false reading, I put it into the sunlight on the porch. Within 7 minutes it has risen 15 degrees to 104, at which time I quit. Now, there may be technical reasons why the reading in the sun is inaccurate, but I prefer to not hear them or believe them, even if they are valid and reasonable and even TRUE. The sun has been absolutly brutal the last few days. Rose showed up for the trip to Montrois and was sweating and complaining about the heat at 5:30 in the morning!

very interesting post from Tara Livesay about the Missionaries of Charity in Port, an organization started by Mother Teresa years ago. They care for sick children, getting them back to health and reuniting them with their families. The place is overcrowded and understaffed, but the kids get fed and they are alive. Many families, when faced with a very sick baby, just quit feeding it, thinking the food should go to healthier, stronger kids who may make it, thereby giving a death sentence to the sick baby. Managing resources is a part of poverty, and feeding a baby who likely won't live has a poor cost/return ratio. Cold, but true. That decision is made every day in Haiti and many other 3rd world countries like Haiti and poorer. I was reading about Sudan today, the average family lives on about $100 a year. that's about 36 cents a day to feed...everyone. I see the kids in the school here and I realize that many of them are actually well off for Haiti. They have clothes, food and can go to school. Some aren't so lucky and attend school on scholarships....another way to say Gary and Caroline let them attend for free. And the days go by, one after another. I realize that sanity is a real gift at times. It is too easy to just want to go bonkers on yourself. I know God will lead me to where He wants me in the future. It may be here, it may be somewhere else, it may be home. Wherever it is, I hope I never look at people again like I did before. That would be shameful. did I say it was hot here?

Bondye benis ou.

No comments:

Post a Comment