Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Daily Dose

school carries on, as does the weather. hot and humid. whuda thunk? a regular routine, as much as possible is settling in. I am feeling MUCH better now, just took 3-4 days to kick whatever it was. I am looking at getting some of the PACE booklets from Gary to go over. one of our students may want to see if he can get enough math in to take a physics class later this year. I know I will need to study up on this stuff if I am to be of ANY help to him. another challenge. yesterday Jessica was downstairs with her kids as I walked thru the upstairs hall way and I hear, "ok, let's put out right hand out.........ok, now let's put it in. NOW, let's do our right foot...". I snuck downstairs and glanced over the railing and saw her and kind of laughed. She saw me and said, "this is my $80,000 education at work!" and laughed. you do what is needed. there are fewer students this year, some have moved on to stateside schools, some I fear aren't here due to the recent hurricanes, I have not asked Gary about that yet.

we moved some wood from the carport where Al had been cutting up some wood for shelving and such things at the orphanage to the orphanage itself. it started today, Bev had 3 kids there for "school",and they showed up all smiles. they have families but at least two of them are living in shelters for those who lost their homes in the floods now, and their parents did not have the ability to care for them before either. so hopefully it is a positive step in their lives. afternoons after school Gary takes the kids home, the smaller ones, and the rest of us go home and crash for awhile from the heat. when Gary get's back anything that needs done we do. I try to keep up on keeping the generator filled with diesel (we have not had to run it for about 3 days now as we have had an unprecedented run of city power) and keep the rooftop water tanks full. it takes some work off of Gary. little things for now. my Creole continues to improve at a snails pace, but I get more words every week.

was checking on flights home for Christmas and don't know if I will or not. If I booked NOW, on American it would be $820 to get home and back for about 2 weeks. ouch. I will check on other flights and see, I may just stay though I would greatly want to be home with my family. maybe I'll just trust God on that....sounds like a plan. I appreciate the feedback in the comments it truly is encouraging. all for now. signing off.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan!! This is Sarah! I finally got my E-mail working so I could get to the link to read your blogs! Glad everything is going well. College is fine and I pray for you every night! Miss and love you! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bro!
    I've been thinking about you here lately...and it has been all good.
    I miss you in the hallways of Frontline. The only one I can make fun of now is Ken.

    Keep teaching, Dan. It is one of the most rewarding paths anyone can follow. Never doubt, you are making an impact in ways that may not be evident now. But, at the end of the journey. Then you will see. Love ya bud. Kevin

    ReplyDelete