Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Why?

I'm sure we've all asked ourselves this at one point in time or another. Why does this have to happen, why did these circumstances collide in this terrible way, etc? This morning I received an e mail from my ex wife Pat detailing what she knew about Nick Dellamano, a 25 year old young man who committed suicide Saturday evening. I had previously wrote Monday, I guess I just glazed over that after reading the first line. Nick's father was a friend of mine, and a good friend of my brothers. Nick hung himself Saturday night. He had called his father and told him he was going to do something and by the time Pat got to him it was too late. Why? I did not know Nick personally so I can't answer that, but don't we see the answers in our daily lives? Despair drives us to do things we would not do normally. Why wasn't God there? this is an obvious question. What we usually don't face is that God may well have been there in Nick's despair, calling out to him. And I will not concede that in his last moments Nick didn't meet God. His mercy abounds to us all. I can't explain it here, but I am so absolutely sure that Nick did not die alone. I pray for his family, for Pat in his grief as he found his son that way. there are no words to ease such pain, just sharing it for a short while to help is all we usually can do.

received an e mail this afternoon about Amy, who was serving what she saw as her ultimate calling, as a missionary overseas. she found out awhile ago she has cancer and is home now, doing what she can do, seeking clinical trials, seeking peace with God. Why? why call someone to a noble purpose and then not let them be part of it? all I can come up with is that God does not call us to do great things, just to be obedient to His purpose. He will do the great things, we have only to play our part as He gives it to us. I pray for Amy and her family.

Why? I don't know, and I never will. all any of us can do is take this day which is given to us and participate to out utmost. If we think we ever had control of more than that, we were fooling ourselves. It makes me think what an absolute gift I have. I am here where I truly feel I need to be now, in order to follow God. and I have a day to do something, anything to help and show someone the love of God if I get the chance. What more can we really ask for? Please pray for Pat and his family and for Amy and her family. they face what we ultimately, in our own way will also face. May God give us the grace to get thru.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there-
    Sorry to hear the news. In fact, I think I might know the family.
    Anyways, hope all is well in Haiti. We miss you and are very proud of you.

    Mindi

    ReplyDelete