Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Filling in the blanks

for JEN, who asks lots of questions others maybe haven't. the work here started out as teaching some math and science to high school kids. well, it has morphed from that. it turns out I teach a whole range of things I know nothing about! we have regular math, algebra, geometry, science, english, word building (vocabulary work) AND I teach a Friday morning Bible class for a group of 10 year olds. approximately 10 yrs old. sometimes the lines blur and you have a larger group than what you planned. I also help run the generator in the house, (we all like electricity. electricity is our friend....fan's at night, you know). I monitor the water supply on the roof and run the pump to keep the tanks on top of the house full. and keep the diesel can's full so we can fill the generator when it needs it. I am learning things about electricity and generators and inverters I never knew before....or thought I wanted to know. :) living here is not so bad. there are limits obviously, you can't run down and get a burger, or pick up something at any particular Mart. But I have my music, internet off and on, and a few books. I HOPE to have the rest of my clothes and things next week. by now I have gotten so used to just a few things I won't know what to do with multiple pairs of shorts, or other shoes to wear instead of my crocs. (thank God for the croc's, if these had been regular sandals my feet would have fallen off by now!) My Creole is coming slowly. I learn a few words here and there, having a chance to apply it is more difficult as we speak English in the house.
My kids are older, not as cuddly but I see where they want to go with their lives. Myberson and Kesmy want to go to college and I am pushing them to improve their work. Sophonie wants to be a mom and loves little kids, she wants to be a homemaker so I don't push the higher math type skills as much with her. Pony and James are kids who are older, around 20, who haven't had a chance for education and are trying to catch up. for them it is more difficult but they try hard and don't quit. the smaller kids downstairs are highly cute. just little kids living their lives, having fun in school and learning English from the "blans". I see more about their lives than the kids themselves, if that makes sense. I want them all to succeed, to not wind up on the streets as so many do here. prostitutes, beggars, swindlers just trying to get by. I desperately don't want that for any of the kids here, but I can only effect the ones in school very much. Seeing them grow up makes me miss my own kids more, and miss the teen's at church. I wish I could open heads and pour in wisdom, but what parent hasn't hoped that? I have kept my thinking, as much as possible, to a day at a time. I have no idea where I'll be 9 months from now. whether I'll be back here next year, or home searching for work I don't know. I just know I am supposed to be here today, and tomorrow will take care of itself. I guess the hardest thing is not having the family and friends around you regularly talk to. It does leave a void that is hard for others to fill. But I read somewhere that God will provide the means for those He call's. So I guess I'll trust Him for another day. sounds like a good plan. this Saturday I will be (hopefully) visiting Canaan to discuss Ismael's coming to America. we'll see how that goes, those who know the deal on it please pray it works out well. It is in God's hands, as always. Jen, I'll e mail you about the other stuff. good night to everyone, I pray all are well.

No comments:

Post a Comment