Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oct 25,2008



It occurs to me as I have been here for a less brief period, that Haiti is a vertical country. The very name "Haiti" means mountain, or something close to it. When I was at Canaan, the answer to where someone or something was always was either "up" or "down". Up the mountain or down the mountain, sideways didn't enter the equation. "Over there" was a rare occurrence, especially since if they said it, I would not have understood it anyway, so I may be taking some literary license here. But the idea is that the country appears to me to be a vertical kind of place.


The view from the rooftop looking down to the bay provides a small sample. The houses spread out below to a rather beautiful view, almost idyllic if you don't look closely at the details of life. However if you turn around, you get s sample of "up" here. (Forgive the stupidity of the photog who waited till almost dark to take these. He has been severely chastised.)

There are far more views I wish I had pictures of to share to demonstrate this, but suffice for now that this is what I perceive as the Haitian experience. Either "up" or "down". Jessica, one of the other missionaries here, told me when I discussed this with her that the language kind of goees that way also. She notices so many times people ask for "a little" of this or that, I would think based on the fact there isn't much of it to start with, whatever it is.
A paradox here is that those who live "up" as in the picture are in fact part of the "down" crowd. Those houses are really high and EVERYTHING is carried there, including water, food and fuel. It is a very hard life. Conversely, Gary told me that much of the rice land here was bought by the "bourgeious" land owners so they......could let it lay there. The UP's financially buy land to let it do nothing? So how did these folks come to own most of Haiti? Because they realized they could import rice and make more money doing that as opposed to having local rice production. So they get rid of any possible competition that could drive down prices. (and speaking non business wise, also feed so many more people). I have a real problem with that in a nation with so many who lack so much basic to life. It seems so imperious but I guess that is the way of the "UP's"(not where they live but what they have. I know it is very confusing) as I may choose to label them. I guess I can't single them out, as it appears so many of those "UP's" in the US do the same, only far more efficiently. With local production, things happen like jobs. A good thing I would think in a country like this, but I digress. So the microcosm of those who have.."UP".. versus those who don't.."DOWN".. seems appropriate to me. There appears to be very little "middle" here. In Port there appears to be some of what we Yankees would call "middle class". but away from there, and I admit my experience is limited but I will go with it for now, there appears to be little "middle" here. And those who strive for it usually fail, as far as I can see. There are some business owners who do well, but most are day to day, or at most week to week. Even the workers for the school here struggle. They are paid good wages compared to most here but getting by is very hard. The paradox I have been told is that if you pay significantly more than the locals feel a job is worth, then it is very hard to get them to work at it. Kind of self defeating for those who might aspire to be "middle" it seems. So it appears one of my first impressions will be one of the best I have here. The more I learn about Haiti, the less I know it, or at least understand it. For those of you who read this are think I have lost my mind, I will find it difficult to argue the point. Hopefully I have confused you more. If so, then I can say my work is done for today! bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment