Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oct 9, 2008

went to Port yesterday and ALL MY STUFF WAS THERE!!!!! happy days here. I took most of my clothes and threw them into the laundry so I can wear REALLY clean clothes for awhile. I have so much stuff here now, I feel like I will have to permanently live here in order to justify the wait for all of it. while in Port one of the other missionaries, who is (along with his wife Bev) starting up the orphanage Touch Ministries is running had to get paint. So while Al is paint shopping in Port his salesperson starts talking with us. (paint is being mixed at this time). His name is Patrick Pierre. His cousin in Juan Pierre, major league baseball player. He went to high school in......Edwardsville, Ill. He played baseball there, graduated in '88 I believe, just before Tom Pile became their head coach and they dominated Ill high school baseball in southern Ill for 20 years. we had this long talk about Edwardsville and Collinsville and the rivalry, or, lack of a rivalry (Edw ALWAYS won...at pretty much everything) he laughed about that. really is a small world isn't it? he wound up spending 6 yrs in the Marines, married a Haitian woman and moved back to Haiti. Al and I had some time while Gary and Caroline were working at Agape so we went for a walk in downtown Port., just a few blocks or so. got a lot of looks, as you can imagine. but it was fun. it is becoming more and more comfortable (language dependent) being here. maybe I am just "up" today due to clean underwear, :) but it is feeling more natural. the change from a "career" to a mission worker, at least for me, has been surprisingly "unbumpy" if that explains it. the usual Haiti stuff, but I have been here and it really doesn't faze me much anymore. although we had a conversation (Caroline and myself mostly) while Gary helped Al shop for paint. they are going to arrange for me to meet the ent doc here, a woman doc from France who works in Port. it may work out that I can continue working in audiology here for her or with her or..... if so, then I may be able to support myself indefinitely here doing some audiology work. we'll see, but it is kind of exciting. whuda thought things would work out this way? (probably a God thing, dontcha think?) :) we'll see. got to get ready for school this morning, so this is all, bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. Those Tigers are everywhere! Thats pretty crazy, that yuo would have run in to him way down there. Definitely a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan!
    We love you ... we're so glad you're here ... more later.

    hugs and high fives,
    tara

    ReplyDelete