Monday, September 29, 2008

September 29, 2008

well, it's about 3200 deg/Farenheit here on the surface of the sun.....oh, wait, this is Haiti. that's right.....missionary......doing good (?).... right. well,.....it's about 3200 deg/Farenheit here in Haiti. with matching humidity. well, close! went for a walk thru the 'hood here this afternoon with Jessica. I think this is as close as MANY Haitians have been to a white person in their entire lives. it was actually kind of funny. got a LOT of stares, but also many smiles and polite "bon swa"'s back to our ventured greetings. Jessica speaks Creole (she cheated, she knew French first!) and she interacts with the people who then look at me and I smile when they say things. Jessica then explains I am the stupid one of the litter, and they all laugh.....and I continue to smile. at least we are meeting some people. I would like to get to know at least a few folks here. we went to the house of one of the children who go to church where Jessica is going. (don't ask me about where I am going to church). we went to his house because his mom speaks English and we were invited...or at least Jessica was and she drug the idiot who can't speak Creole with her. His mom's name is Elizabeth and his father's name is Farkier, or something llike that. both seemed very nice, both spoke English and both laughed at me when the conversation went entirely to Creole for awhile. I entertained so many today!! tomorrow food is going the one of the villages that was hard hit by the hurricane. I may or may not be able to go, schedules and all. Iam HOPING to get some pic's sometime to share, if not I will draw some things and post them as original art forms. maybe not.... seriously I find that our morning Bible reading we do is very helpful to me personally. it focuses me on what is going on for the day, and why I am here. it is amazing how much a daily time with God can change you, focus you and help give a peace of mind about what you're doing. I heartily recommend that those of you who are disposed to prayer try it......WITHOUT having to go to Haiti!! only the dummies learn these things here. I think I said that before in this post didn't I??? maybe I should not stress that point, I still need people to support this idiot. :) all for now, I pray everyone is well at home.

3 comments:

  1. Dan,

    I have been praying for you regularly. I have tried multiple times to respond to you it does not show up in the comments. Maybe I can do it right this time. Remember you are there under God's direction, He will open up the doors that you are supposed to deal with each day tomorrow will take care of itself. Look to see God at work all around you and join Him with what He is doing and see His plan unfold in front of you.

    In hIs Grip,

    Curt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    I just finished writing a book on here and when I went to post it the site died (Ugh). Well, here I go again. Glad to hear you are doing pretty good. We all pray for you every week. FYI is going well. The student leaders are doing a fantastic job and the group is growing. We were just donated the Schellenger Ice Hut, so it looks like next summer we will have a shaved ice ministry. Please let us know of any needs you have. We all talk about you a lot and miss you. Please know that you are loved missed more than a blog can tell you. If you see any of the kids from Cannaan tell them "hello" and we miss them. Hope to visit next year and see more of your work. I added your blog link to the FYI web site tonight, so maybe you will get more comments. Love ya, take care and I'll blog again soon!

    PR

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAN!!!

    Oh my goodness, we miss you!!! Its been odd without you around, but great because we know you are out changing the world :). Sounds like you've had a few bumps in the road, but remember: your God is big enough. He is big enough to deal with all of the issues, especially the ones that seem to overwhelming for you to handle!

    Hang in there, you are changing the world...even if its one little Haitian at a time. You are admired, and respected because of what your doing, and I pray I have the guts in my lifetime to do even half of what you are doing right now! We are praying for you daily. The teens all miss and love you very much.

    We started a prayer request board during youth, and your name is on it weekly. We also started an Student Leader group (as you know), and its going great! Me and 5 boys haha!! There is never a dull moment to say the least. It seems to be making a difference, even if its a small one.

    School is lame, but I applied for McKendree next fall, so we'll see how that goes!!

    Love you, and you are greatly missed!!

    Hang in there buddy :) :)

    email me sometime: nitsirk_88@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete