Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March 4, 2009


It has rained the last few nights here, though last night was dry. It leaves the place a muddy mess. The ground can't take that much rain on top of dry dust, it just causes mudpiles and minor/major flooding. Downtown is a mess, roads clogged with mud and garbage from the canals that has been washed out by the flooding. Literally they bring in dozers and backhoes to scrape the mud and garbage off the streets after rain like this.






On the way back today from taking the kids home from school Gary and I witnessed something that just boggles the mind. An old, mentally disabled man was walking the street in rags for clothes. A young man on a bicycle slowed up and came next to him; tapped him to get his attention, then slapped the man before riding off, laughing. Gary and I talked about the guy; he knows of him and knows there apparently is nothing that can be done for him. Unless you want to take him into your home and care for him, he really can't be helped. And the odds are, he wouldn't come to your home anyway. He resists help, and when you can help it doesn't help. Gary has given him some money before and has found out that as soon as he turns to leave, people of the kind mentioned come up to him and take it from him.






I know this stuff happens everywhere. It does not make it any less tolerable just because it is not that unusual. Think of those young American idiots who video themselves beating homeless people for fun????






Haitians are friendly overall. They help their families generally, but more so out of cultural obligation than anything else. The basic characteristic I see here is the amazing self centeredness of people. It shows in how they live, drive, walk the streets, etc. It seems that most, as far as I can tell, give absolutely no thought of what their actions may mean to someone else. I know Americans have more than our share of this quality, but I will say not to the extent I see it here, and it's not really close. This characteristic would make it very difficulty to bring people together to work towards a common purpose and that again appears to be maybe the problem here.



For every trip that I take where I find things like this, I also must say I see regularly small children that are just adorable, smiling and enjoying themselves. They will smile and wave and this is becoming my purpose. The adults here I have to honestly say I don't know that I would want to work with. The children, however, can be helped. First they can learn that there is a God and that He cares for them, and then that Jesus came for them. Then they can be educated and taught to care for others. THAT MUST BE TAUGHT TO THEM. It doesn't occur naturally, it appears to me, not here or in the US. Sometime it kind of stinks to be in the business of small victories. Then I remember why I am here, and Who called me to come. It takes my eyes off the circumstances, then you can go on. Take care in the States. Good luck with the government, I begin to think I am not sure which government is worse, the US or Haiti's.....
Djebenis tout moun.

3 comments:

  1. You're right on with the children. It took about 5 minutes after landing in PAP the first time for me to fall in love with some little kids. (That was after I scoped out my surroundings and made sure someone wasn't going to try to rob me...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you made it to your destination with everything intact! I had my camera lifted on the trip in from Port when I came in last fall. hope you have success where you are in your mission

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch on the camera.

    We've never had any problems when we've gone in. Although, I was talking with my pastor, who also travels in to work with the mission at least once a year, and we decided walking out the doors of the airport might be one of the most uncomfortable places on earth. At least it is in my opinion because at that point, I feel every eye on me.

    ReplyDelete