Saturday, March 7, 2009

March 7, 2009


Funny how the longest trips come while you sit in one place. Sometimes we go thru valleys, over mountains and thru deserts while sitting in one place. Or, at least I do. Several years ago I saw a link on the Livesay website for Church of the Open Door in Minnesota. This had been their home church in the states and they recommended it, so I dialed in and got hooked. There was this series called "The Way of the Rabbi" about this guy named Jesus and how He lived and talked and walked, and they studied Him for about 18 months. Nothing else, just who He was, who He is, and how He invited us to live along with Him.


Well, as many of my good intentions went, I was impressed, bought the cd series, or at least part of it, and......left it in a box for several months. When I finally began to get ready for the "big trip" I started thinking of what I wanted to bring with me. It seemed like a good idea to bring something that may be edifying. While I know what the word means, I really don't like it. For whatever reason, I always think of Eddie Haskel, a goofball character on the old (yes, really old) tv series "Leave it to Beaver". Even I was young then. You know, we used the hand crank tv then...... Anywaaayyy.......I always think of Eddie Haskel, a no account, trouble causing, selfish guy always trying to get the innocent guys into trouble. So, I have issues with words....doesn't everybody??


Well, I started to get edified listening to the cd's and after listening to a good 10 or 15 minutes of one, decided I needed to bring them with me. So I promptly delegated the loading of the cd's onto my computer to my oldest son Luke, who did a wonderful job. And time went on, I show up here and the edifying process grinds to a halt. In fact I think for a while I was de-edifying.... more word issues! So one day I decide to actually start listening to the cd's. I mean really listening. Amazing thing, this edifying stuff, once you actually want it for yourself. You see, before this I had started reading some stuff about abiding in God, and real discipleship, and in doing that, being Eddie Haskelized (better) seemed more desirable. So I started listening, and this pastor guy David Johnson started talking to me. Actually started talking to me, we had conversations, really. (Haiti does bring out the best in you, I believe!) While we are having these conversations (he is a good talker and gives good answers, but isn't much of a listener as far as I can tell yet) it seems I start seeing things like myself and the world differently. People appear differently to me, not part of a culture as much, though I know we are all a part of one, but more as individuals. Yes, I still have a way to go in this as my posts clearly demonstrate. I am, however, seeing things in a differrent light.


So, if there are any Eddie Haskel fans out there, or those who remember him as not that a great a guy......heck, if you remember him, maybe you might want to try http://www.thedoor.org/ as a walk down memory lane. Even if you don't and maybe want to get knocked off your perch (let's all line up for that!) give a listen, they have podcasts. Along with the 'casts from my church Frontline Fellowship, http://www.frontlinefellowship.com/ they seem to keep me grounded....and ungrounded.....all at the same time. Interesting experience, that is.


Djebenis tout moun

No comments:

Post a Comment