Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20,2009


so it is inauguration day in the US. I have read and observed thru the 'net the euphoria over President Obama's election and the hype about the inauguration, admittedly with some reservations, not only about the future and policies but about the level of excitement over it. I thought I maybe understood it some, but I asked one of the Haitian workers at our school what his thoughts were about it. Kevin is Haitian, but was born and raised in the states until circumstances forced his return to Haiti. He would pass for pure American on any street in the states. Kevin gave the answer I thought was there; it is not as much a celebration of an individual but a race who see's itself as finally arriving, as having reached the crest of the hill after interminable time and struggle. It is a very personal thing for African Americans and other of African heritage around the world apparently. I can understand it, but obviously not from a personal struggle viewpoint. I am an outsider to some extent on this and that is ok.


it seems to me that for a race that has always been "at the bottom of the barrell" for lack of a better way to express it (PLEASE, don't think I am trying to be harsh, I am just trying to describe some history in a short space) to have "one of their own" as the leader of the most powerful (?) nation on earth is a mark of arrival on the world scene. And unfortunately, a bit part of the responsibility for this (at least in America) fall's on the Christian Church, in my opinion. I know certain times have their "stuff", and we have ours now that we don't see that 100 years from now people will look back and say "what were they thinking there????". but slavery and the treatment of people like they were treated couldn't have happened the way it did except with the tacit, at least, approval of many Christians. They forgot that God gave us an order to love each other, regardless of race (Good Samaritan?). And that we were to go to all the earth sharing the love contained in that message. I hope we get it, if not "right", at least BETTER this time around the solar system. I hope we can all look at each other with more open eyes, and without the fear of difference. I hope all Christians will pray for President Obama, that he will know God more than he ever has, that he will be filled with a spirit of God as our leader. I hope we've grown up that much, though I know it can't be perfect. Slavery exists today, it continues to flourish in the world tragically. But maybe for this corner we can do it better, we can learn to love each other better, and forgive perceived sins and slights and offenses. I hope.
Djebenis tout moun,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment