Saturday, January 31, 2009

January 31, 2009





this has been a busy week for school. There have been several problems with kids that continue to occur so changes will happen next week. One older boy has a bad temper and he and a group of boys were warned about fighting on the playground, especially while playing soccer. Well, he did it again, busting a much smaller kid in the mouth. The smaller boy was ok, but the line had been crossed. He was kicked out, and had to have a meeting with his parents to return. He will be allowed back in next week, but Gary is forming a "principal's class" of problems kids. He will be in it and won't have break with the other kids anymore...at least for a long while. There will likely be 2 or 3 other's in the class, all older boys who are either lazy, rebellious to the point of refusing to do the class work, or just so immature they can't keep from playing for more than 2 minutes. I'm sure there are some teachers out there who know more about this than we do who are horrified, but if you feel that way, send me a note and volounteer to be here so you can show us. Frankly, the kids here expect discipline and when they don't get it, will push the boundary's daily. More of the parents are saying "been there" now right? We don't want to lose any kids, but at the same time, it does not help them to learn to be violent, disrespecful or lazy does it? And the kids getting hit, and having their class time taken from them so teachers can deal with these kids lose too.






the kids regularly play soccer at break and lunch....or at least they did until Gary ended that this week. And an amazing thing happened, the kids played cards, dominoes, talked, and played w/o problems or protests. They were fine! I think this may be a long term plan here. I hope it is. It seems to help the kids stay focused in the school day longer and cause many fewer problems between the older kids, and less resentment in the younger kids who can't get on the "playground", actually a concrete pad about 25x25 or so....feet, not yards.






unless plans change I will be meeting with the ent doc in Port next Wednesday about working as an audiologist. I have no idea how this will work out. It could lead to a part time job, summers only, a full time gig or not work out. I am praying that God will open the door I need and close the others, so I am not really stressed about it. I am however begininng to feel more and more the seperation from my kids and friends. I can do alone pretty well, it does not bother me to have time to myself. But circumstances sometimes show you the price paid to do these things. When you could be home, meeting a need in someone's life there, and you have chosen to be here, meeting needs in other peoples lives, it can be difficult on a personal level. but it makes more clear that there is a price to the call in our lives. Not that we abandon family or friends though sometimes that can be the case. But we give them to God. It takes the control from me and put's my trust on the front burner, either to be refined or completely toasted. I trust God in many things, but here I learn regularly there are things I hang onto that He is tugging out of my hands. He does however, seem to have a better grip on those things in His hands than I do on those in mine, so maybe it is for the better for everyone!!!



the pics are those of kids not playing soccer on our field but playing peacefully. It does make for a calmer day for kids and teachers alike! also a pic of the view down the wall from the school of the street. a regular day in Haiti.



take care, drive careful in the Midwest, (or anywhere else there is ice/snow). Hope to see you soon.


Djebenis tout moun.
forgot, a bonus picture of Kesmy studying English before school in order to take a test. (He passed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment