Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 28, 2009


I have been by some coincidence reading Dietriech Bonhoeffer's "The Cost of Discipleship" at the same time my students have had occasion to read "In His Steps" a novel written in 1896 by Charles Sheldon which depicted a church congregation which decided to actually do in their everyday life what they thought Jesus would have them do. Their is more than a little coincidence in this as both are speaking of the same thing.


Bonhoeffer's view is that "when Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die." This book has opened my eyes to what had previously been in the background in my life, not certain of or able to speak of, but still knowing that something was there. We speak so often of the grace of God, of being saved by grace alone but slowly I come to understand that the gift of faith in Jesus comes along with the gift of obedience to His call in my life. Again, Bonhoeffer's opinion is only those who have faith obey, and only those who obey have faith. It seems if I actually believe what I say I believe then there must be a consequence in my life. Gary and I were talking the other day and it occured to me in this political season we are in, that we Christians treat Jesus as if He is our president instead of our king, ready to give Him a chance to make my life better, but also ready to vote Him out of office if He doesn't produce to my satisfaction. I have only recently begun to understand the difference between the two as far as my own discipleship, and I am even more thankful for His patience with me.


Concurrently two students are reading In His Steps, which depicts a church with a pastor who is changed by the act of being a servant to a homeless man for a week before he dies. He finally understands that Jesus saved us for we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Eph 2) This pastor challenges his congregation to change their lives, to do as Jesus would do, actually become disciples by obedience to His call in their lives and to His word. Don't you just love it when God gang's up on you? So I am looking at myself, knowing God is talking to me. What has God prepared for me to do as far as good works in my life? Hmmmm, good question. It does seem though that this light bulb has come on only as I have been obedient to the call to come here to Haiti. So be obedient to what you perceive as a call, regardless of what it is, large or small, and maybe God will open your eyes to something greater. On second thought, there really is no maybe about it, is there? EVERYONE is called who calls themselves a Christian in some way, maybe not missions but there are only a million things we all can do where we are. Step out and enjoy the view of life, it is really worth it.


Djebenis tout moun

No comments:

Post a Comment