Thursday, January 8, 2009

January 8 2009

well, different day today. we have no power for the school as the generator is going out. there is no gas in the town (as of about 7 last night when these decisions were made: found out gas arrived late last night and will be available sometime today). w/o gas there was no way to hire a tap-tap to take the kids home, as Gary had to go to Port to find another generator. therefore, school is closed today.

got a chance to take a tour of a home for rent just behind us, owned by the same person who owns this house, the school, and several other homes. Li gen anpil lajan.....he has much money!. house is empty, needs some paint, etc., but is very nice. the rent is about 9 times what this house is, at least that is what he first asked. immediately it dropped when Caroline almost gagged at the price. probablly won't happen, but you never know. it would allow more visitors, trips/missionaries to come here. who knows but God?

I am learning more and more to not worry about the future here. you just really have no idea what will turn up, almost minute to minute at times. so it is easier to let go of knowing and planning. I think that is a big difference between Haiti and the US. Americans want control, they need to know what is going to happen. Haitians know that life works out the way it does and for the most part they can't control most of it, so they don't try. people started showing up for school, as some did not check messages. And it was handled, they understood that things happen, so they go with the flow. Americans would have (IMO) thrown a fit. my time, my money for gas, my......... Haitians have seen more of life in many ways than most Americans ever will by an early age, that it kind of flows over them. that isn't always a good thing, as it is hard to get them to try to plan when they CAN do things. give and take I guess. Being here I don't worry really about power and water, even though it can be gone.

case in point. was filling the tanks on the roof as long as I was running the generator for a little while. it will still run but smokes a lot. forgot to check it as I am doing this and the water ran over and is coming off the roof. the workers came running just as I remembered it. my bad. but life goes on. I think I like Haiti in that regard. no one (usually) get's too caught up in the junk, we Haitians :) just go along with it. AND its warm!!! all for now, I'll update on my next goof up, so tune back in soon. :) :) bye for now

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan!
    Just dropping you a note to let you know I was thinking about you! You are living quite an experience and it seems like you are adjusting well. How awesome to be able to really rely on God and set aside the worries of life---there is much to be learned by the Haitians example! I praise God for your heart, Dan, and your willingness to serve Him in this way! God bless you and keep you safe!

    Love,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless you Dan. It takes a special person to do what you are doing. Truly a God thing. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete