Friday, April 10, 2009

Saturday April 10,2009


So Jesus is walking back to the city where previously he had driven out the merchants of the temple. He had gone out that previous evening from Bethany and spent the night outside the city. When He re entered the next day, He was hungry and passed a fig tree. Now the weird thing is that the commentary type folks say it was out of season for the fig tree to have fruit, but Jesus saw the tree without fruit and condemned it, and it withered. I always wondered why He was so harsh on the tree, being out of season and all....until I thought about a previous part where Jesus had warned people of the bad dudes running around, false prophets running around as sheep, but really looking out for what they could get. Jesus said that you had to judge the tree by the fruit it produced, and we had to see the signs of those who produced bad fruit.


So...it seems maybe there is no season for a believer for fruit. Maybe Jesus expects us to produce fruit all the time, whether it seems in season or not, whether it is.....convenient or not. This seems to be a message most Christians don't want to hear often, that after being saved by grace, Jesus expects something of us. Maybe He means that He can tell those who really have accepted Him by the fruit they produce. It makes me think that I should rethink my whole life in relation to how I serve Him.


I think that calling Jesus my "king" but then treating Him as though, well, as an entertaining guy and all that but one who I can change the channel on when it suits my purpose......I think it would really tick me off, if I was Jesus...a very scary thought in itself but we don't need to go there today. I think Jesus would think it highly disrespectful of me to treat Him that way.....especially after I called Him my "king". It seems that if I really felt He was my "king", I would treat Him that way. I need to give myself to Him, really give myself, to His service, and I need to consider how I can best do that. Maybe I have just played around at it, doing what is convenient for myself, but not necessarily glorfying Him. I have always had this self serving attitude about myself, for some reason. I think I need to ponder on what it means to have a "king" over me, one I submit to completely, for whom I work and strive to please. Maybe I'll find a little less of myself in that conversation and a little more of Him. I hope.
Djebenis tout moun (French, just found that out)
Bondye benis ou (Creole version)

1 comment:

  1. Very very true post. It's time for Christians to stop playing games and get out of the comfortable chairs/pews/seats we've confined ourselves to.

    ReplyDelete